Wednesday, February 2, 2011

green days are here...not again, for the first time

So, it's a new year, and I have a few new things going.  Fairly recently, I jumped on a train of possibly random but likely much-needed energy around changing my diet for the better.  Friends were bringing little bits of things I had heard or paid attention to in the past back into my life and in front of my face, and I decided that there were enough good reasons to pay attention and do something about it.

For a while now, I've known that deep down, really and truly speaking, I should be eating a totally vegan diet.  It's most in line with who I am and want to me, how I feel about food and animals and the way the world works, and has always seemed to be the healthiest option out there.  I have, however, always gotten hung up on a few of my favorite things:  cheese, ice cream, and baked goods (if they come in brown paper packages tied up with strings, all the better).  This time, though, I bought some books, written in a way that works for me and are kind to the grilled cheese lover I am.  While reading about a week ago, I also had a moment that I've never had before, even in all of my thinking about what and what not I would eat...maybe it's okay that this is hard.  Maybe being the healthiest that I can be is worth it.  I love cheese, but maybe I could love something else more.  What if I have been settling for what feels good instead of what would feel better?  Wow!

Anyway...it's all relatively recent, but so far, it's going well.  I'm eating more (though not completely) vegan already.  I've also bought a juicer and started experimenting with green juice recipes.  My chocolate has gotten darker and my coffee has gotten rarer (not rare like meat, rare like less often); though I'm only a week or two in, things are good.  We'll see what happens next!


Dinner tonight--baked sweet potato with homemade cashew, pepper, lime and garlic cream.


Also, snowstorm!



Happy Groundhog's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment